Friday, June 15, 2012

I'm back!


 So, I'm a horrible blogger and haven't posted any of the fun happenings for the past few months. But I'm trying again. This post will be a mini catch up session, highlighting fun projects I've done.So starting from the most recent to the oldest, here we go!

PROJECT #1
This project I just finished last night. I've been working on it for months (sadly, I was highly unmotivated by how it was looking until yesterday when it came together). Sam purchased this huge, very functional desk off of KSL for $15. I overtook it and made it my craft desk :) but I do try to keep it tidy for when Sam wants to use it as well. Anyway, as you'll see, there are three slots not so very big in size.I picked up these small flexible baskets at the ever trustee Dollar Tree (best dollar store there is, three baskets = $3). And a yard of burlap from Hobby Lobby (with my 40% off coupon was under $1.50) I covered the hideous (they were bright yellow) baskets with the burlap using my hot glue gun. This was the hardest and most time consuming part. I didn't bother making a pattern or standardizing the pieces of burlap so it took awhile. Now the fun part. I made stencils from cardstock via my printer. I painstakingly cut out the numbers... and yes I saved the stencil for future 'numbered' projects. Finally using supplies from my craft box, plus black paint from Jo Anns (only $.59) I painted over the stencils. Then, I ate a large bowl of Dreyers Slow Churned S'more ice cream while watching a cheesey movie (One For the Money) and waited for them to dry. I am now obsessed with how they turned out!!! Can you believe, $5 for these cuties! As of now they are storing scraps of material for future sewing projects. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

These baskets cost me $5 to make!

This is in our second bedroom btw. I'll post more pictures once its done. It's the only room in the house that I am attempting to create a 'Pottery Barn' feel. Please do not look at the display of pictures on top of the shelf. They are just there waiting for a permanent home in the room. And yes, those little jars are from Kelly's wedding favors. Super cute. I loved them so much I took my parent's home too.




PROJECT #2

My good friend Rachel is pregnant with their first baby! I'm SO SO happy for her and her husband Brandon. Rachel travels for work, and being the fantastic friend that she is, twice now and scheduled business in Utah. I love it. She came out last August. It was so special, because she was my first and only friend to meet Sam before we came out for Thanksgiving to meet everyone. I can't tell you how much it means to have one of your closets friends be able to meet and give their opinion of the guy you're with. We even went to one of Sam's Ultimate Frisbee games. They won, good thing... for Rachel anyway. She may not have been so approving if she'd seen him lose lol. Anyway, I won't be able to attend her baby shower in Michigan, but I knew I wanted to make her a baby gift for when she visited. Here is Utah, every single mom has a cute baby tent on their car seat. I have no idea if they are as common in MI, so of course, I need to send one that way. Rachel isn't finding out the sex of the baby, so that was tricky picking out fabric that was cute, but baby neutral. I think I nailed it, plus it screamed 'Rachel' to me :) So here it is!

This bad boy wasn't so easy either. I'm just starting to get sewing again, and I messed with the settings on the tension on the machine. Oops, so it took me a little bit to get going. I made this on a day Sam was at work, because of course I over took almost every room in the house with fabric, ironing boards, pins and the sewing machine. Totally worth if though. I just loved how it turned out. So, where is this picture taken you ask? Yes the day I finished I HAD to know that it fit on a car seat, LOL so I took it into the Target near our house and fashioned in on every car seat they carried to make sure it worked universally haha. Here is a shot of it flipped up, if you wanted to look at baby. Too cute right?



PROJECT #3

Project number three were gifts for Kelly. I'm bummed because I forgot to take pictures of the wedding gifts I made her. But they are very similar to decor I've made for our home (see an old post) I made her a large wreath with the letter P and a silhouette picture of Michigan, with the heart over Plymouth with Kelly & Steve's names and wedding date. It means so much to me that Kelly called to tell me on their way to Hawaii how much she loved them. That's all I could ask for :) and what I forgot to tell her, but makes carrying that huge wreath throughout two airports as carry on totally worth it! Maybe Kelly will take pictures of them for me and I can update the blog :)

The other gifts I made Kelly were for her bridal shower. Thanks to Lee for encouraging me to take pictures :) I bedazzled a pair of white shorts with the saying 'I DO' and a diamond ring. Kelly is such a sweetheart and wore the shorts at the salons while getting her hair and make up done. I also made her a bridal tote, my actually first sewing project since getting the machine out here in Utah. I sewed ribbon and lace matching her bridal colors and ironed on this beautiful 'BRIDE' lettering. The bag curled in the wash and no amount of ironing would tame it. But she carried around some essentials the morning of the wedding in the bag as well. Gotta love Kelly and how thoughtful and caring she is. Here is the picture:


Stay tuned for my next post :) Tonight we're going to our sweet niece Hailey's dance recital, but I have tomorrow night off and more ideas for projects for that second room!









No comments:

Post a Comment