Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Foodies

I am going to be posting fun dishes and desserts I try as well as document our fun newlywed stories. Sam caught on to this blog idea the other night after he made a late night snack and exclaimed, 'Blog about this!' and insisted we take a picture of his creation :) so here it is!
We were running low of groceries (I'm going shopping today) but still managed to create an impressive Mexican inspired snack. Good job babe... for those wanting to try at home (JK) I believe he used 2 white tortillas, refried beans, mozzarella cheese (I said we were running low on ingredients haha) corn, lettuce, maybe some more ingredients I didn't know about thrown in all fried up in a pan and topped off with sour cream and fresh cilantro. Good work Sam! Last night I grilled chicken for dinner and needed to use the sweet potatoes that were soon to go bad. So I tried this recipe from the Food Network Website...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/twice-baked-sweet-potatoes-recipe/index.html
  
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

  • 6 sweet potatoes, even in size and scrubbed
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place sweet potatoes on sheet tray and bake for 1 hour or until soft. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.
Split potatoes and remove the flesh to a medium sized bowl, reserving skins. In another bowl, add brown sugar, butter and cream cheese and the all of the spices and mash with a fork or rubber spatula.
Add the butter and cream cheese mixture to the sweet potato flesh and fold in completely. Add the filling back to the potato skins and place on a half sheet tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. 


I prepared the dish for only two potatoes, I cut the ingredients into fourths and made a few changes to keep the dish lighter... I used half the amount of brown sugar and substituted Fat Free cream cheese and only a bit of margarine. They looked beautiful when they were done, but I'll tell you they were a little too rich of a taste for me. Sam is such a trooper eating my healthy food (he's not a huge fan of sweet potatoes in general) but he ate more of this side than I did... so semi success!

No comments:

Post a Comment